Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Heart of the City (Center) pt 3

Sorry for the long adieu, but unfortunately life can get in the way of even a burgeoning writer like myself. Any who, I’m going to deviate a bit from my promise of eateries, both new and returning and focus on something that just kinda hit me (recently, in fact!) as having far more weight and importance to it. As I’ve said before, I remember the hay day of City Center – and one of the things I remember and long for most is the spectacle that was City Center. It seemed like you could see anything while you here, a veritable Times Square housed indoors, specifically at the mock-auditorium of “The Pit.” You could always count on something going on, whether it was a tremendous Christmas (while the correct phrasing should be “holiday”, it was undoubtedly a Christmas-centric theme) display to various performers (even I sang on that stage one holiday season many, many moons ago) doing whatever their craft for the enjoyment of the patrons.

To me, this was the heart of City Center (ironic that I title these posting such and just now realize the source, I know!). Where members of the “city” got to showcase their talents, wares or whatever to the rest of us. It didn’t matter how “good” you were, though almost everyone was excellent in their performance (I have to wonder if there was a screening process…?) – you just put yourself out there and had a blast doing it. With that, imagine if you will, a weekend matinee of upcoming shows (the elementary school version of the Nutcracker , or a song or two from Wicked or The Lion King), poetry readings (doesn’t the Brownstone have frequent open mic nights?), heck even “Gimme the Mic, Columbus” could have a small concert there (giving ABC a glimmer of hope of a presence Downtown, in lieu of the NBC studio being built on the corner of Broad and High). Can you imagine an OSU pep rally before they face “That Team Up North?” I know I can!

I could certainly lament for hours on the "could be" venues (church choirs, Children’s Theatre Presents, Emeril Live!!) but I think I’ve planted the right seed here. Soon (and I mean it this time), I’ll come back for my actual installment concerning the great eateries of past and future and hopefully be able to catch lightning in a bottle some of the things I throw out.

Thanks for reading!

V.

No comments: