Thursday, November 29, 2007

Heart of the City (Center) pt 4

Welcome back, everyone! After learning that there are a few interested readers out there, I'm suffering a strange bit of writers block and can't really find a way to articulate (as poetically as before, at least) my proposed subject matter today :(. So, in an effort to "Keep Moving Forward," (I've been watching the hilarious/touching Meet the Robinsons a lot recently), I'm going to try and get this all out any how :)!

I'm dedicating this installment to the development of the "food court" of City Center. Now, unlike other malls, CC was not built with a designated area for the expressed purpose of purchasing and consuming foods. Instead, the entirety of the 1st floor acts as such -- although, I guess one could argue that there are essentially two distinct food courts (The Fountain Area & and The Pit Area) or something to that effect, but to me, the plurality of the subject matter kind of negates the existence as a whole. At any rate, I digress, to say that fundamentally "food courting" is an essential of modern malls and the selection within is almost (if not absolutely) as important as the selection of retail establishments. To that effect (and I apologize for not knowing the ratio to retail stores), but City Center has the capacity for some 13 food court eateries (there is a distinct difference between the food court and restaurants, the latter of which, City Center has 4, for a total of 17 food centric establishments!).

Generally, I'm all for self promotion and the success of the small (private) business venture, but alas, its in the realm of food that I've got to admit a sense of snobbery. One of the downfalls in City Center's standing is the emergence and growth of "home-made" eateries (I find this true of the other retail stores as well, but that's another matter for another time.). They come off more generic, than innovative or enginuitive -- cruxing their menus on the taste bud exciting blend of Angus beef and fruit juice (I'm not kidding, this place exists). And for the most part, the food is good...though I was a bit leery of trying it out at first, despite the amazing smells. There needs to be a sense of franchising with these establishments. Brand building and management. Its not impossible for a local eatery to earn a place, but they certainly have to earn it, having gained a decent following that when said establishment opens, people take note, rather than happening on it in place of their one time favorite cinnamon roll maker. There's an outright strength with name recognition and the ability to pull worthwhile eateries can go an incredibly long way!!!

I've asked around for some of the places people would like to see at City Center and there have been some great suggestions given:

KFC/Pizza Hut Combo (where The Big Easy used to be) -- this is one of the best 3 for 1 inventions to date, not only are you filling the niche for "soul food" (I know I'm being generous with that one, but it still suffices for that after church meal!), but Pizza Hut is always a crowd pleaser, with their personal pan pizzas appearing even in hospital cafeterias. The third component, which few people recognize as the glue behind the venture, brings a certain investment power that when used in conjunction with the standings of the anchor stores (Target and Virgin Megastore), heightens the possiblity of celebrity showcasing and support; Pepsi.

Starbucks or Cup O'Joe -- currently, there is a huge vaccum for this market in City Center, especially considering the proximity of office workers to the Downtown area. While I'm sure chains of these establishments exist in the area, the constant lines would suggest that you can never have enough of them and it doesn't seem like coffee (and its related items) follow a sense of trend, but rely more on the sense of need.

Chipotle -- I'm not an eater of most ethnic foods (I'm extremely picky), but I know a fan favorite when I see one. And there is not a Chipotle in the immediate Downtown area; you either have to travel to the cusp of German Village or into the Arena District, both of which are not pleasant when you've got to pay for parking or only have 30 mins to attain and consume what you can in the midst of a January winter.

Firdous -- again, I'm not that into ethnic foods, but whenever I go to the North Market this place has a line. Note, not necessarily a name you know, but there are people (my wife being one) who would rejoice and revisit the opening of this place in City Center, adding the flare of Greek food to the mix.

Chick-Fil-A was also a suggested choice (because you can never have too much chicken) as well as keeping a few of the "mainstays": Steak Escape, Subway & Mark Pai's Express.

*Let me take a moment and explain how much like a traitor I feel for suggesting a rivaling pizza place when Sabarros has served me so well over the years. I love you and wouldn't trade our times together for anything in this world...but, something's gotta give!*

For anyone reading, what are some places you'd like to see? Be as specific as you can (is there a store front you'd like to see them replace, an ethnic cuisine you'd like to have available?). I know a good burger place hasn't been mentioned (something that hasn't faired too well at City Center, Wendy's excluded, if you count it).

I've gone a little long here, so I'll leave my suggestions for the restaurants (remember there is a difference) for next post.

'Til then...

*For nostalgia sake, some of our lost favorites: The Original Cookie Co., Johnny Rockets, Au Bon Pain, Haagen Dazs, Cheryl Cookies, Cinnabon, The Big Easy, Spinnaker's, Max&Erma's, Fame Deli and The Boulevard...missed, but not forgotten...*

3 comments:

Walker Evans said...

I'd prefer to see less chains and more unique local establishments.

Although a Chik-Fil-A would probably still be welcomed by me. ;)

Anonymous said...

Good words.

Victor Dandridge said...

Thanks for the compliment! I apologize for being gone for so long, I really entend to put more up and soon.