Saturday, October 20, 2007

Heart of the City (Center) pt 2

With the residential development plan that has erupted Downtown, a unique need has been created that City Center could be an incredible solution for. As with any residential area, proximity to daily source consumer goods (groceries, personal care items, etc.) is always a plus. Currently, there is only one store (that I can think of) that can effectively serve the 43215 zip code (Kroger off S. Front St), though for just a few more minutes travel, patrons can also shop at Giant Eagle (located in German Village, zip code 43206). But at the same time, there's an assumed prestige with living Downtown (with house prices tapping the million dollar benchmark) and as nice as those chains can be, I know a little something extra would certainly excel. So, without further ado, I posit that Target should be the second anchor store, a tri-level version taking the place of the current Macy's.

Over the past few years, Target has proven to be an incredible "one-stop shop" retail hub. With the latest in movies and music, to electronics and toys, food, fashion and other household goods, Target stands as the dominating (in my opinion) "discount" department chain, not having the stipulations of "hill-jack" or "for old folks" that Wal-Mart (sometimes) carries.
Along with its range in products, at consumer-friendly prices, Target has one of the best marketing campaigns in recent years. Their commercials are graphic inspirational dances that resonate visually with an almost brainwashing of brand placement -- I long to see what window displays they'd bring!

Having established the two anchor stores (both more contemporary than their predecessors), the next chapter will focus on the first stores/restaurants that should be invited (in some cases invited back) to breathe some life back into City Center.

5 comments:

Walker Evans said...

Yes yes yes. A Target is definately what we need in the new City Center. Have you seen their urban store in Minneapolis? I don't think it would be out of the question to replicate the same thing in downtown Columbus.

Victor Dandridge said...

I certainly appreciate your support of my ideas -- for a while, I was sure I was the only one reading these! Your support has reinvigorated my resolve to try to see these things done and I hope you find more of my ideas enjoyable!

Thanks again for your comments and thoughts!

V.

Anonymous said...

Yes. This is great. I have believed for a long-time now that a Target. Great idea.

Anonymous said...

giant eagle on neil is in 43215 IMO :D

Victor Dandridge said...

Many apologies for not having been active here - but I wanted to take a moment and respond to the thoughts left behind.
--To ColumbusKid: Thank you for your support and glad you too see the scope for Target could bring!

--To Anonymous: YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! I lived in that area (well, more Campus)and did not realize how far up Neil Ave 43215 carried, before becoming 43201. However, I do still maintain that it is a bit out of the way for anyone living on 3rd & Gay St.