Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Heart of the City (Center) pt 7

Moving on from the slightly depressing ideas behind City Center's decline, I want to refocus on its renewal, throwing out a few ideas for the stores that should be invited (in some cases invited back) and why. Out of any of my postings, I must admit (almost ashamedly so) that this posting is probably my least innovative (some ideas are outright "traditional") in the suggestions given.



Too keep City Center a mall, it does have to be just that (a mall!), and there are a few general markets that are MUST HAVES for general public support and economic success -- PARDON THE INTERRUPTION!!!!! I've got to rant for a moment before I can intelligibly continue...

I recently picked up the Jan issue of Columbus Monthly, with Mayor Mike Coleman on the cover as the proclaimed "Person of the Year." Hmmm...you know, I'm more of an innovator than a hater, but I honestly cannot allow the minced words of our supposed town chair go un-rebutted. As I've heard here and there, it would seem that the grand idea(s) our illustrious leader has for City Center involves a massive redesign that would turn the 1M sq ft building predominantly working office space with SOME retail to keep up the market. Now, despite any ideas that I've posted here, I have NO experience in city development (though I would love to try my hand at it), construction, renovation or the like -- BUT, I am an observant citizen who can't help but notice that its taken at least 2yrs to get as far as it is on the renovation(s) of soon to be NBC building on the corner of Broad and High. How long would it take to turn City Center (whose 1M sq ft was designed to be a 3 level mall) into an effective and efficient (I hear the state workers in the Lazarus Building are ALWAYS cold) office space? I don't even want to imagine. Under the guise of building a better "Business District," Mayor Coleman is willing to forsake the economic magnitude a City Center renovation would bring. If you would like a larger "Business District" perhaps what would be a better idea would be to take over a few of those open lots of overpriced parking and build from there (I hear starting from the ground up is actually cheaper AND faster). Despite the difference in opinion, outright, what truly enraged me were Coleman's insensitive and begrudged remarks about City Center's inevitable failure since its inception, showing a complete disregard for what was (and could still be) a monument of the city...

I'm sorry, this was meant to be a constructive view of a possibility of City Center's return, your regularly scheduled posting shall resume shortly.

No comments: